MSL DEPARTMENT MEMBERS ONLY.
OTHERS PLEASE CONTACT UBC IT AT WWW.IT.UBC.CA.
Functioning Computers and Accessories
MSL IT will take any and all working computers and computer accessories and repurpose them for use around the labs. Please contact MSL IT to arrange drop off or pickup of your items.
Functioning non-computer items
This program is designed to assist UBC employees at the Point Grey campus, like you, find and exchange low-value items between departments (e.g. furniture, audio-visual equipment, office supplies, etc.). Registered members can post both wanted and available listings.
Non-Functioning Computers and Accessories (E-Waste)
Please drop off all departmental electronic waste (e-waste) to the blue bins located in the MSL atrium near the spiral staircase. We will handle recycling and disposal of all computer items except for laboratory equipment. Contact Dan Fayant for recycling instruments and other non-computer type laboratory equipment.
- Computer cables
- LCD/LED Monitors
- Parts of computers
- Laptops (please attach the laptop power supply with masking tape/rubber bands if possible)
- Keyboards and Mice
- Fax Machines
- Modems, routers, switches
- Motherboards and accessory cards
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS)
- Cell Phones
- Game Consoles, Cartridges and Accessories (Atari, Nintendo, Sega, etc)
- Power bars, extension cords, phone cords, etc
- CDs and DVDs
- CPU/CRT combos (like iMacs)
We Do Not Accept:
- CRT monitors
- Telephones (We DO however accept IP phones)
- Flash Lights
- Electric Typewriters
- Stereo Equipment
- Televisions or Remote Controls
- Microwave Ovens
- Smoke Detectors
- Appliances (including air conditioners)
- Cash Registers
- VHS tapes
Printer Toner Cartidges
Please drop off all used or old toner cartridges onto the cart next to the blue bins located outside of room 227. We have an agreement with Laservalley for them to handle toner cartridge recycling.
Please bring your dead batteries upstairs to main Reception. There is a box for dropping off small Lithium, Ni-MH, Alkaline, and NiCd batteries. If you have large or lead-acid batteries, please contact Dan Fayant for displosal instructions.
Other non-functioning Items
MSL IT encourages all users to recycle their broken non-working items safely and responsibly. Read up on UBC's recycling and disposal programs and what you can do on UBC's Recyling page.
UBC Waste Management accepts e-waste from 7.30 am to 3.30 pm, Monday to Friday. You can find them at the back of the University Services Building at the first loading dock on Agronomy Road at Lower Mall outside the back of Room 0150. Anyone from the UBC community (staff, faculty and students) can drop off their personal electronic waste, in small quantities.
What is accepted: http://www.return-it.ca/electronics/products/
Alternatively if you wish to contact a recycler outside of UBC, we suggest:
- Freegeek Vancouver, a Basel Action Network ‘e-Steward’
- Encorp Pacific, who operate under EPRA
- FCM Recycling who operate under EPRA
- Computers for Schools BC a charity the refurbishes surplus computers for donation to BC Schools (K-12)