MSL DEPARTMENT MEMBERS ONLY.
OTHERS PLEASE CONTACT UBC IT at WWW.IT.UBC.CA.
- Click on the Start button, and then click on Devices and Printers.
- In the Devices and Printers window, click on the Add a printer button.
- In the Add Printer wizard, click on the option Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer. Windows will display a list of available printers.
- Select a printer from the list, or click on the option The printer that I want isn't listed to find the desired printer. (To find a printer, proceed to step 5.
- To find a printer not on the list, perform the following:
- Select the option Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname, and then click on the Next button. (Note: Consult the printer list to find your printer's IP address.)
- Enter the IP address in the Hostname or IP address text area. (As you type the address, Windows also adds the address automatically to the Port name text area, as shown in the example below.)
- Install the driver for your printer by selecting the printer's manufacturer from the Manufacturer and then the model number. (If the model number of your printer isn't listed, click on the Windows Update button to list additional printer models.) Click on the Next button.
- Enter a descriptive name for your printer in the Printer name text area or leave the name that is already filled in, then click on the Next button. (In the example below, "Xerox WorkCentre 7345 PCL6" has been entered for the printer name.) Note: You can change the printer name at any time.
You should see the following window showing that Windows 7 has started the process of installing the printer:
- In the next window, make sure the option Do not share this printer is selected, and then click on the Next button. If the printer was added successfully, you should see the following window:
- In the message window shown in step 7, click on the Print a test page button if you want to print a test page to verify you can print with the printer, and then click on the Finish button.
- You can view the new printer listing by clicking again on the Start button, and then clicking again on Devices and Printers. You should see the entry for your printer. (In the example below, "Xerox WorkCentre 7345 PCL6" has been added.)