Position start date: October 1, 2023
Posting End Date: September 25, 2023
The Research Technician will assist with daily operations, experiments and maintenance of a research laboratory. Emphasis for this position is to assist the research group with daily activities including molecular, cellular and animal experiments as part of active research projects. The individual will be joining a dedicated and highly motivated team of bioengineers, molecular biologists and immunologists. The work and environment are interdisciplinary, with the research focused on development of clinically translational RNA vaccines and therapies.
The Research Technician will assist the Principal Investigator and lab members with experiments and day-to-day lab activities. The individual will interact closely with members of the research group including graduate and undergraduate students; UBC and department staff and administrators; and collaborators. The lab technician position is fundamental to the ongoing success of the lab.
- Plans and performs cloning of new plasmids and synthesizes RNA
- Formulates RNA into nanoparticles
- Characterizes formulations using standardized protocols
- Conducts standard molecular and cell biology experiments on mammalian cells
- Coordinates and supports tissue culture of skin explants
- Sets up and performs in vivo vaccine studies and imaging of protein expression
- Assists with development of novel techniques and methodologies to achieve research goals
- Assists lab members in troubleshooting experiments
- Assists with analyses and compiles data in report preparation, presents results, and participates in the preparation of scientific manuscripts
- Assists with maintenance of equipment in the laboratory
- Ships hazardous and non-hazardous reagents in accordance with TDG regulations
- Identifies and proposes strategies and procedures to ensure the safe operation of research laboratories. Ensures compliance with safety regulations in the lab
- Maintains a clean and fully functional lab environment
- Carries out any other related duties as required in keeping with the qualifications and requirements of positions in this classification.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
Exercises a considerable amount of judgement, responsibility, and initiative related to the functioning of the lab. Incorrect decisions could jeopardize research progress, collaborations, finances and employee safety, and adversely impact future project objectives and personnel. Poor judgment would result in loss of experimental data and delay in conducting research. The Research Technician will be responsible for errors in their work, for reporting problems and mistakes in a timely way, and for correcting those errors.
Reports directly to the Principal Investigator to ensure priorities are addressed. Works under minimum supervision, receiving specific instructions only on unusual problems or on matters which depart significantly from established policy and procedure.
The Research Technician will work as part of a team. They may have joint responsibility for supporting and training more junior personnel and graduate students.
Completion of a university degree in a relevant discipline or technical program and a minimum two years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Relevant undergraduate degree, and preferably a MASc or MSc, in the field of bioengineering, immunology, molecular biology or related fields in the life sciences. Demonstrated experience working in laboratory setting is required, and lab experience would be beneficial. Computer experience with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook) and figure design in BioRender is an asset
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work with the Principal Investigator and research lab members to plan and implement experiments and to analyze data
- Demonstrate initiative in determining work priorities and meet deadlines
- Effective oral and written communication, interpersonal, analytical, experimental, multi-tasking, and organizational skills are required
- Demonstrate flexibility and responsiveness to changing needs
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative and productive working relationships